Over the weekend, I whipped up this yummy pizza on my cast iron pan clearance find from Williams & Sonoma (similar here). The sweet pears and sharp cheese are a unique blend and would pair nicely with a great wine! This is super easy to make, and in my opinion, tastes even better cold.
- pizza dough (bought mine pre-made from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 red onion (sliced thin)
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon EVOO
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 Bosc pears (pealed & sliced thin lengthwise)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 1/4 cup candied walnuts (coarsely chopped, purchased from Trader Joe’s)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly coat your pizza pan with EVOO and distribute evenly. Place pan in oven to heat.
In a small saucepan, melt the butter and olive oil together. When the oil and butter mixture is hot, add the onions and sprinkle with sugar. Saute the onions until they begin to brown. Stir in the Balsamic vinegar, and continue sauteing until the onions are caramelized. Remove from heat & set aside.
Kneed and roll out your pizza dough. Remove pizza pan from oven and place dough onto pan.
Evenly spread the caramelized onions and pear slices on the pie. Evenly crumble the Gorgonzola and mozzarella cheeses over the pie. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts. Bake pizza in preheated oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 8-10 minutes. Cut and serve.